October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, this month provides an opportunity for us to focus on breast cancer and the impact of this disease. Breast cancer can occur in women & rarely in men. Breast cancer is the abnormal growth of the cells lining the breast lobules or ducts, the cells can grow uncontrollably. There are 4 types of breast cancer.
Finding breast cancer early provides the best chance of surviving this disease. Take the time to check your breast, changes to look for include:
- a new lump or lumpiness, especially if it’s only in one breast
- a change in the size or shape of your breast
- a change to the nipple, such as crusting, ulcer, redness or inversion
- a nipple discharge that occurs without squeezing
- a change in the skin of your breast such as redness or dimpling
- an unusual pain that doesn’t go away.
Some changes aren’t due to breast cancer, but it’s important to see your doctor without delay if you notice any changes. To make an appointment at the GP clinic, please call 24134.